BONE BROTH: So Trendy Right Now and Healthy AF (plus recipe!)
So, what on earth is bone broth?
Bone broth is… broth. Just upgraded.
Bone broth is made by throwing animal bones (typically chicken or beef) into a stockpot of boiling water and letting it simmer all day. The collagen and gelatin from these bones seep into the broth, giving it a rich, delicious flavor and a whole lot of health benefits.
(don’t worry - you can totally buy bone broth at Kroger or Publix if you’re not adventurous enough to make it yourself.)
You know all those pricey collagen products that are all the rage right now that you see all over social media? You can get the same benefits as these products by having some good old fashioned bone broth everyday.
So let’s talk about the benefits of bone broth. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Gut health. Guys, gut health is hot right now. And for good reason. Researchers now believe that about 70% of our immune system is located in our gut. Our gut health is connected to how we feel, how our immune system function, how are brain functions, it’s connected to depression and anxiety, the health of our skin - I mean, literally e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-ng. We MUST take care of our gut.
Studies show that gelatin can actually restore the gut lining and can fight food sensitivities. It can help probiotic bacteria grow and can decrease inflammation in the gut. If you are taking probiotics, you should absolutely be supplementing with bone broth to increase the effectiveness of the probiotics.
- Pretty hair, skin, and nails. OK so this is a superficial reason but let’s be honest - it’s motivating. As we age, the collagen in our skin, specifically, starts to breakdown. Adding collagen in our diet can boost that collagen production which will in turn, reduce wrinkles. A lot of people even report a reduction in cellulite.
Collagen has also been shown to boost growth in hair and nails. And while I can’t show you studies to support this, I CAN tell you about the countless texts and emails from clients who I’ve added collagen to their diets who are VERY happy about their accelerated hair and nail growth!
- Joint health. Joint health may not be as sexy as prettier skin, but wow, it can sure make a difference if your life if you’ve been suffering from joint pain.
Sort of the same idea as your skin - as we get older, the cartilage in our bones start to wear down. The collagen and gelatin from animal bones that leach into bone broth can help restore this.
If you have joint issues - I highly recommend adding a collagen and/or gelatin supplement daily. You’ll be amazed at the results. Bone broth is a really easy way to get it in!
You can simply sip on a cup of broth every day, or, make yourself a big batch of vegetable soup to eat all week!
Here’s my go-to recipe that i probably whip up every week, and what I love about this recipe is that while it’s full of healthy fats and fiber-rich veggie, it’s also rich in protein due to the bone broth. Balanced, delicious, and SO good for you.
Protein-Rich Vegetable Soup
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery, chopped
- 2 c fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1 28-oz can of whole tomatoes
- 2 qt chicken or beef bone broth
- 2 giant handfuls of chopped cabbage
- 2 giant handfuls of chopped kale
- 1 lemon
- Avocado, parsley, fresh parmesan
Heat avocado oil over medium high heat. Add garlic and onions and cook until onions are translucent. While they’re cooking, add a big pinch of salt.
Add carrots, celery, and green beans and cook for another 4-5 minutes.
Add the stock and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Break up the tomatoes as much as you can. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and let simmer about 15 minutes. Add kale and cabbage and let simmer for another 10-15 minutes.
Add all the juice from the lemon, and topped each bowl of soup with avocado, parsley, and fresh parm.
Bone broth - yes please.